BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

This blog is rated "M" for Mom.

One of my funniest memories comes from riding in the car with Mama and listening to the radio. Clear as day I remember Elton John's "that's why they call it the blues" coming on the radio. In our car, the chorus sounded like this: "Laughing like children. Living like lovers. ............(complete silence as my mom had turned down the volume knob)..........and I guess that's why they call it the blues."

I know she was trying to edit out something a little mature for her small children, but it didn't stop us singing (to total silence) "rolling like thunder under the covers."

My children seem to have inherited my love for singing along with the radio and my ability to quickly pick up on the lyrics of popular songs. As soon as I caught Payton singing some questionable lyrics, I started trying to censor the radio. The problem is that my "mom ear" isn't always on. Or sometimes, I am too busy singing along to realize that my children are in the car listening. So I was not very surprised when Libby told me her favorite song was the song by Pink where she sings...."Na na na na na na na I wanna start a fight." I just decided to try a little harder.

Today, however, I was very surprised when Libby walked into the room singing, "When you see my face, hope it gives you hell, hope it gives you hell."

Oops.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When Ian downloaded some Beastie Boys onto his iPOD I thought it was funny until he started to rap, " i like my sugar with coffee and cream.." Oh boy.

nuckingfutsmama said...

LOL! Obviously, I'm not alone here in this area! My daughter is a HUGE fan of that Pink song too -- in fact, she and her little friend made up a synchronized dance to it. Any time I start to get on my soapbox about the songs on the radio, my own mom quickly reminds me that I used to jam to Prince back in the day. Oh yeah, I did, didn't I??! Like you, I guess I need to tune up my "mom ears" as you called them (funny) and pay more attention.... :-)